Glen Region SCCA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Solo > 2011 Solo Season
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10/9 @ WGI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 1:01pm
No,  not really.  The SCCA rents the track for specific times.  Typically these times are 8:00am to noon, then 1:00pm to 5:00pm.  They do NOT rent nor do they normally have access to the track over noon.

In this case, the track allowed the SCCA to move lunch to 111:00am to noon.  This helps by giving time for the enduro to run and complete before the risk of running overtime (overtime does cost the SCCA additional money since the track has to keep their people there overtime as well).

The $25 laps cost probably pays the extra pay for the track personnel to drive the pace truck and probably pays off some insurance.
Pat
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 1:35pm
From what I understand they normally do their own "thunrder road" laps during lunch at that time - but for some reason they are not doing that for this event - which leaves the time open for us. So they would be charging the $25 to someone regardless.

As for doing it after the event... I'm not sure if that's an option. As Pat mentioned, there's the possibility of overtime that the region would have to pay - but also, we have the option during the lunch hour because that's when they'd normally do it anyway.
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
Scootin159 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scootin159 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 3:03pm
I think getting the laps after 5pm would be a real struggle - it's just not something the track normally does. Over lunch isn't as much an issue because a certain number of workers stick around anyways, but at 5pm people pretty well pack up & go home. If the club racers knew 100% that they would be done by 4:30pm, we could probably make it work for zero cost (since the SCCA would have the track from 4:30pm to 5pm), but I'm skeptical that they have that window of time. The club racers normally like to use 100% of the track time allotted to them.

As for the $25 lapping fee - I'm somewhat disappointed about that. I know they do normally charge the 'general public' the $25, but I've seen MANY times that groups that they don't consider 'general public' get that fee waived. How high up the ladder was this brought? I'm thinking it's likely that if we find the right contact we can get the fee waived.

Also double-check on the waiver - the waiver we all sign to do the autox should cover us. I know I've done thunder road before without signing the specific thunder road waiver because some other waiver I had already signed covered me. Not that it's a big deal - it's not like it costs anything - but it's just a convenience issue that may save us some time in organizing it.

If we do end up needing the $25 tickets - as an idea, what if we collect the $25 at registration, and then have someone run down into town once registration closes and buys everyone's tickets then?
RacrFanNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacrFanNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 3:35pm

I'm a little with Bruce in the time issue.  I know a lot of or members have taken laps before.  We all love it and if it is done in a timely manner I'm all for it.  The only negative I see is losing 1 1/2 to 2 hours and suddenly were cutting back on runs.  If you shut down early to prepare and get in line for that time period is that going to P/O anyone who is not taking a lap (and has to wait around all that time)?  I guess a lot depends on how many show up that day and how many want to take a lap.  

Just thinking out loud.  Looking forward to the 9th.

'85 Red Devil 440

"Bringing Back the Past"
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Scootin159 Scootin159 wrote:

I think getting the laps after 5pm would be a real struggle - it's just not something the track normally does. Over lunch isn't as much an issue because a certain number of workers stick around anyways, but at 5pm people pretty well pack up & go home. If the club racers knew 100% that they would be done by 4:30pm, we could probably make it work for zero cost (since the SCCA would have the track from 4:30pm to 5pm), but I'm skeptical that they have that window of time. The club racers normally like to use 100% of the track time allotted to them.

The way I understand it, that's not how it works. While still part of the SCCA - we are not the same group that is renting the track for that period of time.
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
colbeykd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colbeykd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 5:57pm
I'm interested in all the comments, as I've sort of seen both sides of the fence in our club.  When I first determined the club race lunch time, I knew then that this would be a concern.  Personally, if I were in the autocross (which my club race T&S commitments will prevent me) I would want more runs on the autocross course as fast as I can go in my slow car than a few "paced" laps around WGI.  However, I've also been to a couple track days there, so the concept of being lead around the place has little appeal to me anyway. 
The idea that some groups have the fees waived interests me, as I did not think this was the case.   However, as we all know, ISC is in it for as much money and as much legalize as they can get.
If it were me, I would shoot down the idea of paced laps as the logistics of it trying to coincide with not being in the way of club race (who, mind you, keep the lot empty for us to use) just doesn't really work.
Kyle C
88 Honda CRX Si ITA Road Race car
04 Acura RSX Type S
colbeykd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colbeykd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2011 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by ack154 ack154 wrote:

The way I understand it, that's not how it works. While still part of the SCCA - we are not the same group that is renting the track for that period of time.

BTW, forgot to mention this in my note.  You're exactly right, we are not considered the same as club race (hence the lot fee that we pay totally separate to there rental fee).
Kyle C
88 Honda CRX Si ITA Road Race car
04 Acura RSX Type S
conewagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conewagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 1:07pm
I agree with Kyle, they have paced laps almost everyday, and although it would be cool for us to all go around together, that isn't really why we are going to be there.
it's not a Subaru.
draymond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 4:26pm
Too complicated. I'm there to do as many solo runs as possible. I can do chauffered laps most any time. Let's keep our focus on our event. My $.02. So there.
BMW 318 (Sort of)
Sunburst Miata
Austin Mini
Volvo 740 Superleggera
LetItSnow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetItSnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 5:33pm
I get the feeling that trying to include an autocross and pace laps in the same day would be a real hassle.  While good in concept, when you run the numbers it just doesn't fit.

As said before, there are plenty of opportunities for paced laps; it would be a drag to have it cut into the autocross runs.

See you all in a few weeks! Smile
'00 Miata, 462 STR... Sold the supercharged SVX.
One of those CNY guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic