Glen Region SCCA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Solo > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What tires?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadelewitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What tires?
    Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 2:07am
  I gotta get new tires for the 2006 Mini. Looking at new Dunlop Direzza ZII and the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2.  Size 205/50-16.  ZII is "Extreme" performance of course, COMP-2 is "Ultra". Sounds like I'm shopping for condoms.

The COMP-2 is supposed to be a summer-only tire, but on a forum I perused a user said it has the M/S (mud/snow) marking on it.

Anyone have any knowledge of the BFG tire?

Norm Adelewitz  Cool
Norm Adelewitz

Ithaca

77 HS Red 2006 Mini Cooper

Co-driver: Sock Monkey
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 10:11am
I doubt the Comp-2 is M/S rated if it is summer only (which TireRack says it is). Someone may be thinking of a different BFG tire.

I think it depends on your budget. Unfortunately, you're somewhat limited in choices based on the size you need. The Dunlop Z2 might be the best for the money, but it's also not the cheapest.

The COMP2 looks to be about $30/tire cheaper than the Z2 - but they're in different categories. In theory the Z2 should be a better tire, but is it worth the extra $120+ for you?
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
nadelewitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadelewitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 12:06pm
Thanks for the reply, Alan.  All I have to do is make up my mind (no easy feat).
Did you say that you are getting ZIIs to replace Star Specs?  Did you wear out your Star Specs already? The ones on my first Mini had a year on them including road use, and looked to have a long way to go.
Norm Adelewitz

Ithaca

colbeykd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colbeykd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2013 at 9:32pm
I only had the Star Specs on the G20, but they lasted about 10 autocrosses, 3 tracks days (at least) and probably 10k miles or so.  For an Extreme tire, they held up to all the abuse I could throw at them.
The BFG tires do like pretty good though.  The treadwear rating is higher, so they'll probably last a bit longer.  They are definitely a summer only tire, so I also doubt the M/S rating.  BFG is a big SCCA sponsor, and I have their tires on my truck.  I'd definitely consider using their tires again.  The RSX needs new tires too, I might have to look at these again in a couple of months.
Kyle C
88 Honda CRX Si ITA Road Race car
04 Acura RSX Type S
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by nadelewitz nadelewitz wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Alan.  All I have to do is make up my mind (no easy feat).
Did you say that you are getting ZIIs to replace Star Specs?  Did you wear out your Star Specs already? The ones on my first Mini had a year on them including road use, and looked to have a long way to go.

My Star Specs probably have some life left in them - but 2 of them have plugs from flats I had last year so I'm not really comfortable trying to run those anymore than I have in any competitive way. I'll probably sell the other two on Craigslist or something to get rid of them.
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
jayjaya29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayjaya29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2013 at 12:31pm
BFG is releasing a tire called the "Rival" that, well, rivals the Dunlop Z2's

Roughly the same price point, longer life, and arguably better grip, but they won't be as good in the rain. They have MASSIVE shoulders, which should really help the FWD and AWD cars that are prone to rolling their sidewalls. 

I will most likely pick up a pair of Z2's mid season for my half abused rear Z1's. 

Edited by jayjaya29 - 05-Mar-2013 at 12:31pm
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2013 at 10:01pm
In my size (245/40/17) the Rivals are actually about $10 cheaper per tire... but estimated availability on TireRack isn't until mid May. I was reading a little bit on them though - sound like a pretty good budget option regardless of the wet.

Then again, I think nearly half of our season last year was in the wet.... :)
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
colbeykd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colbeykd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2013 at 4:42pm
Sounds like the "Rivals" are in the market that the Azenis 615 were before the K.  Everyone was scared to drive them in the rain, but they were fast and cheap.
Kyle C
88 Honda CRX Si ITA Road Race car
04 Acura RSX Type S
KENLUDE97 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENLUDE97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2013 at 2:54pm
The tire wear # is not an industry wide rating.  It is only comparable BFG to BFG or Dunlop to Dunlop ect ect.

I've ran a LOT of BFG tires for all seasons on my cars for years and i have had great luck with them.  I also liked them when i sold and installed tires for 3yrs at Sams.  We had a low issue/return rate on them.  MUCH lower than Goodyear tires that we sold. 

I think about them if they were offed in a size for the Miata.
nadelewitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadelewitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2013 at 2:33am
Well, I went for the BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2s over the Dunlop Direzza ZII for my Mini. Talked to Tire Rack sales rep. He emphasized that running the ZII  on the road all the time during Solo season would not be recommended. Wear is one thing, but the ZII is NOT AT ALL advised for wet conditions. DRY surfaces only.  He suggested I get (more) extra wheels and buy ZIIs and Comp 2s, and switch back & forth during race season. THAT was not going to happen.

Got the BFGs today, and they look MONSTER. Sales Rep says the Comp 2s are a good autocross tire, they use them all the time in testing. Just not the extreme rubber of the ZIIs.

Norm
Norm Adelewitz

Ithaca

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic