Glen Region SCCA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Solo > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What tires?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colbeykd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2013 at 4:37pm
I'm smelling a wheel and tire salesman here.  I don't know about the new ones, but the Direzzas are fine for a daily driver.  Anyway, I want to get a look at these BFGs, I need some new tires for the summer wheels.
Kyle C
88 Honda CRX Si ITA Road Race car
04 Acura RSX Type S
nadelewitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadelewitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 12:39am
The sales guy sold me on the lower-priced tire based on my info. I was teetering on a fine edge between the two choices and just needed a push. I had Star Specs on my previous Mini (blue one) for a whole Solo season and everyday driving. I was always wary in the rain, and I continued to wonder how long they would last.
You going to be at the 3/19 Solo meeting?  I can bring one of the BFGs.

Norm
Norm Adelewitz

Ithaca

77 HS Red 2006 Mini Cooper

Co-driver: Sock Monkey
jayjaya29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayjaya29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 2:15am
I've run the Z1's in heavy heavy rain and had no issues, I would expect the same of the Z2's. 
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2013 at 10:34am
Just to add to the rain thing... according to TireRack's initial tests, the Z2 does considerably better in the rain than the Z1.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=168

Getting my Z2's mounted on Friday!
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
nadelewitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadelewitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2013 at 1:05pm
My BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2s are being mounted today!
Norm Adelewitz

Ithaca

77 HS Red 2006 Mini Cooper

Co-driver: Sock Monkey
colbeykd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colbeykd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2013 at 6:54pm
Allan are on still on stock wheels?  Way too early for me to think about mounting summer rubber, it is NY after all.
Kyle C
88 Honda CRX Si ITA Road Race car
04 Acura RSX Type S
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2013 at 10:35am
Ya, I have 2 sets of stock wheels. One for summer, one for snows. So worst case I can swap back to the snows in about 15 minutes.

This time last year I was definitely on summer tires. I had them put on before the roundtable weekend (and subsequently found out that one of my valvestems leaked). Then again, this time last year we were packing for Las Vegas... :)
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
KENLUDE97 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENLUDE97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2013 at 2:23pm
Yea its too early to install "summer" tires.  Summer tires are dangerous under 40° but really should not be used under 50°.

Last year it was 80° in March. 

I also ordered a set of tires :)  I got a set of Falken 615K  They were the cheapest option for the miata.  Discount Tire Direct had a $50 discount on that tire. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic