Glen Region SCCA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Solo > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GoPro Internet Fail?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GoPro Internet Fail?
    Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 1:43pm
I'm basically copying and pasting this from my Facebook post, so my apologies if you've already seen it - but I wanted to get the links and not have to write the whole thing out again.

If I still had a GoPro and read this, I'd probably keep using it and just deal with it, but it does truly make me reconsider an upgrade for this year. I'm just waiting to see what they do and how it plays out.

Copy/Paste Below:

There is a LOT of discussion going around about GoPro and their (mis)use of a DMCA takedown notice on DigitalRev. Their latest response of "clarification" to me only proved that they have no understanding of what the DMCA is or is to be used for (for one, it is not for trademarks). I'm seriously reconsidering that upgrade to a Hero3 for this season.

The origin: http://www.digitalrev.com/article/gopro-doesn-t-like-their/ODUyNjU2ODc_A
The "response": http://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/1anq5d/gopro_doesnt_like_you_to_use_their_name_dmca_abuse/c8z8hdm (excellent replies to this too)
Another takedown: http://elscottharrell.com/gopro-cameras-sent-me-an-infringement-notice-silly-bastards/ (would love to see the followup to this)

It sounds to me like they've hired some "brand management" company that is taking things far to serious with a less than adequate understanding of what they're even supposed to be doing. There's still a lot to figure out in this whole mess, but if this is the road they want to take with their users and fans, I'm no longer all that interested in their new offerings.
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2013 at 2:51pm
So I've found a bit more info from GoPro (forget the source at the moment) but the general claim was that DigitalRev was using GoPro's stock images without permission and they showed up in the sidebar on multiple pages of their site. So the DMCA notice apparently called out more URLs than just the review in question - but they were seemingly edited out of DigitalRev's initial post.

As I said on Facebook, this still leaves 2 questions...

1) If the issue is with the images, why does the notice still call out the GoPro and Hero trademarks as the problem?

2) If GoPro's latest update is correct and they're just trying to have the images removed from the store, it may be important to know that DigitalRev is NOT an authorized reseller of GoPro cameras. Of course they are not breaking any laws in selling them, but it would appear that GoPro may be simply bullying the site to either "encourage" them to be a reseller or to hurt their sales. Either way, I don't think either of those options look very good for GoPro.

Still investigating...
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
jayjaya29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayjaya29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2013 at 2:21am
Saw the thread on Reddit, hopefully the company hasnt "grown too big too fast" 
ack154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2013 at 8:05pm
I've been trying to find any updates on this but haven't found jack for the last 2 days.
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic