Glen Region SCCA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Solo > 2015 Solo Season
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2015 End of Season Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ack154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by jscaptura1 jscaptura1 wrote:

We are having difficulties making a course longer because our lots are too small. To make a longer course, we have to add a loop where we repeat a section of the course. This severely limits the ability to let a 2nd car enter the course while one is already on course. Solution? No 2nd lap or repeating of a section. Problem? Very short course but we would be able to get 2 cars on at the same time. With the lots we have, we cant have both, its just not possible.

I kind of disagree. I think on shorter courses you can add a lap if you need to and get a second car on course for a reasonable time - even if the overlap isn't that long. But you have to design it with that in mind - and the last 2 courses didn't do that. Honestly I hoped after how long the rainy one was (even the faster cars were long) that it wouldn't be the same course again. But if anything, I think it got longer the second time around. There were no lessons learned. Maybe just written off to too many new people the first time or rain? Surely it would be better in the dry with all of our regulars?

The thing is, we can do 2 laps on the short courses without issue. All of our smaller lots had 7 or 8 runs for the year. Our 4 events at WGI (both lots) had 6 runs or less. What does that mean? I'm not quite sure, but I'd guess it has something to do with being so focused on getting longer runs that we forget we have a bigger space to use and don't use it as efficiently as we should.

I honestly could go on and on about pretty much all of this. I have a lot of thoughts on basically everything... but I don't even have the time to type it all. Let alone anyone actually wanting to read it!
2016 Toyota 4Runner
81 Roll Over
jscaptura1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscaptura1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2015 at 5:27pm
Sorry Alan, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the ability to enter a second car on course on our small lots with an extra loop in there. When we have made the extra loop on our size challenged lots, we have only been able to start the second car after almost the entire course has been completed, saving, maybe 10 seconds worth of time. I would like to be able to have another car on course when the first one is about half way through (on say a 50 -60 second course). I just don't feel it is possible with the lots we have now. There is just not enough space. I think the wireless system would help. I know it would alleviate the problem of where to start and finish the course, plus we would have less problems getting the carts back to the start because we wouldn't have to worry about them crossing the cables. I never had the experience of running at the Seneca Army Depot so I cannot compare my experiences to that. All I do know is that we have really small lots! I guess we really need to make an effort to find some different venues. I have been trying to think of places we could use but am having great difficulties in doing so. I guess I will have to go back to the drawing board (literally) to try and figure some of these things out. One other thing I did want to bring up was the fact that I feel we should drive the course after setup, at speed, with a suitable car, I think we could get a better idea of the course flow and potential bumpy or bad spots this way. I was talking to Brett about this a while back & he said the rule book does not say that you cant drive the course and that you should actually do that when setting up to check for difficulties. I don't think driving the van through the course gives us enough input into how it will turn out for the event.

Have a great evening!

Joe
MikeSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2015 at 5:31pm
It was discussed during the final event, that, in reality, we could have sent another car after the first loop was completed instead of waiting almost to the end of the run. Same release point, but the 1st time around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic